Commuter Benefit Accounts
Commuter Benefit Accounts are split into two separate benefits accounts, Transportation Flexible Spending Accounts and Parking Flexible Spending Accounts. The Commuter Benefit Accounts allow you to use pre-tax funds to pay for your work-related parking and mass transit expenses. These benefits are on a month-to-month basis. This means you can opt-in or out, and/or change the elected amount of funding each month depending on your mass transit/parking needs for the upcoming month. Please check with your employer if there are any internal restrictions on how often you can make changes.
What Are Commuter Benefits?
How Does It Work?
You will estimate your out-of-pocket mass transit (to and from work) and parking (near work or mass transit stations) expenses. The monthly amount you decide on will be deducted from your paycheck, equally each pay period on a pre-tax basis and put into your Transportation FSA or Parking FSA. If you’d like to change the monthly amount for your Commuter Benefit Accounts, please work with your employer and they will then notify ASi. For 2019, Transportation and Parking elections cannot exceed more than $265 per month per plan. Every year there will be an adjustment to the maximum contribution allowance based on cost of living expenses. Please check with your employer if there are any internal restrictions on how often you can make changes.
With the Commuter Benefit Accounts, you can only spend the amount you have contributed to the plan. For example, if you elect to set aside $200 per month but have only contributed $100 so far, $100 is the most you can spend toward commuting/parking expenses at that time.
If your employer utilizes the ASi Visa® Card, your funds will be deposited onto a Visa® debit card. You will use this card to purchase your work-related mass transit and parking expenses.
If your employer does not utilize the ASi Benny Visa® card, you will pay for your expenses out of pocket then submit a claim for your expenses to ASi for reimbursement. You will receive your reimbursement via check and/or direct deposit.
Some employers do not allow a direct deposit option for reimbursements. Please check with your employer if this reimbursement option is available before filling out a form.
What Expenses Are Eligible?
The Transportation FSA benefit covers your work-related mass transit expenses including, but not limited to:
- Subways, streetcars, and commuter trains
- Rideshare, including UberPOOL and Lyft Line
Ineligible expenses include non-work-related transportation expenses and individual transportation services like a taxi or a driving service.
The Parking FSA benefit covers your work-related parking expenses including:
- Parking lots/garages near work
- Parking lots/garages near mass transit stations
How Do I View my Commuter Benefit account?
- The ASi Employee Portal – a desktop portal where you can file a claim, upload receipts/documentation, view claims history, and track expenses.
- The ASi Flex HRA App – A mobile application where you can view your account balances, transactions, and history anytime, anywhere on any iPhone, Android, or tablet device.
What Type of Documentation Do I Need to Submit?
If you use your ASi Visa® card for your Commuter Benefit Accounts expenses, no documentation is needed.
If you have paid out-of-pocket for mass transit/parking expenses, please submit a receipt or itemized document showing the expenses you paid. Documentation should show the following information:
- Merchant Name
- Date of Service/Expense (must fall within the plan year)
- Type of Service/Expense
- Cost of Service/Expense
You can submit documentation to ASi several ways:
- The ASi Employee Portal – a desktop portal where you can complete the required fields and upload supporting documentation.You will then receive a reimbursement check for the qualified expense.
- The ASi Flex HRA App – a smart phone app where you can directly submit claims.
- Email, Fax, or Mail
Fax: (559) 475-5782
Mail: PO Box 5809, Fresno, CA 93755