San Francisco Health Care Security Ordinance Employees (SF HCSO)
The city of San Francisco instituted an ordinance in 2008, referred to as the San Francisco Health Care Security Ordinance (SF HCSO), which requires certain employers to provide health benefits for employees who work within the city or county of San Francisco. To assist employers in meeting the city’s requirements, ASi implements and assists with the ongoing administration of Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRAs) which provide certain health benefits to eligible employees.
ASi SF HCSO Plans & How to Use Them
As described below, ASi offers two types of HRA plans that are in compliance with the San Francisco Health Care Security Ordinance (SF HCSO).
Excepted Benefits HRA
Unlike other HRAs, the Excepted Benefits HRA does not accompany an employer group health plan. It’s a limited plan that allows for reimbursements for specific expenses. Please view “What Does My Plan Cover” for more information.
An Integrated HRA accompanies your employer’s group heath plan. An Integrated HRA reimburses eligible medical, prescription, and other healthcare related expenses. For a detailed list of covered expenses, please visit “What Does My Plan Cover”.
How To Use My Plan
When you see a provider of service you will pay out-of-pocket for your healthcare expenses. You will then submit a claim to ASi for expense reimbursement. There are several ways to submit a claim:
- Online Portal
- Email – email@example.com
- Mail or Fax
Mail: P.O. Box 5809, Fresno, CA 93755
What Type of Documentation Do I Need to Submit with my Claim?
To ensure proper claim processing and payment, proof of service(s) provided must be submitted. The IRS requires the following documentation:
- Patient Name
- Provider Name and Address
- Date of Service (must fall within the plan year), NOT date of payment
- Service(s) Received or Item(s) Purchased
- Cost of service or your patient responsibility of the service/item
The following is a general listing of the eligible expenses covered under the Expected Benefits HRA:
- Dental – Expenses due to the prevention and alleviation of dental disease. Preventive treatment includes the services of a dental hygienist or dentist for such procedures as teeth cleaning, the application of sealants, and fluoride treatments to prevent tooth decay. Treatment to alleviate dental disease include services of a dentist for procedures such as X-rays, fillings, braces, extractions, dentures, and other dental ailments. Anything considered cosmetic is not a covered expense.
- Vision – Expenses for treatment of the eye (i.e. prescription glasses, contacts, exams, office visits, etc.)
- Long-term care benefits
- Nursing home, Home health, Community-based care
- Coverage limited to a specific disease or illness
The following is a general list of eligible expenses under the Integrated HRA. For a complete list, please visit the IRS Code Section 213(d). To view or print the document of ASi’s general list of eligible expenses, please review our Integrated HRA Qualifying Expenses PDF (English | Spanish).
- Preventative Fees
- Diagnostic Fees (x-rays, blood tests, lab tests, exams)
- Prescription Fees (including insulin treatments and some OTC medications)
- Prenatal and Postnatal Care
- Hospital Care
- Specialist Care (Chiropractic, Gynecology, Neurology, Podiatry, Physical Therapist, Surgeons, etc.)
- Mental Health
- Vision Expenses
- Dental Expenses
Whose Expenses are Eligible?
How Can I View My Funds?
You have 24/7 access to your view your account balances and details!